Thursday 12 March 2009

Hear New Music 006




Welcome back! It's been a while. The new Hear New Music is here and it's all good. Hope you enjoy it!






1. Adebisi Shank - You Me
A welcome re-visit for the Irish boys in Adebisi Shank, this time from their album 'This is the album of a band called Adebisi Shank'. (It's math rock, of course they couldn't just self-title it!) It's a great, simplistic mind-warp of undone song structure and non-riffery to the max. It's exactly why I love them and exactly why I couldn't resist a second visist for them to HNM.
Mp3 | Source

2. Stapleton - From Wood To Ridge
I found this lurking on an old Big Scary Monsters Mp3 page, which I found odd since their releases were handeled by Banquet Records/Gravity DIP. Of course, I only found it odd for a second or two before realising it didn't matter because the song is bloody great. Hailing from Glasgow, they do have Biffy-lite feeling about them (which is no bad thing) and sound like a band I want to hear more of. (Another great reason to join Friend Of The Family!)
Mp3 | Source

3. Guided By Voices - Teenage FBI
This song was on the original, first season soundtrack to Buffy The Vampire Slayer (stay with me) while having never featured in the show. It was odd, but it really got me into some of their stuff, especially the album this is from 'Do The Collapse', having found this song on their website along with many of their others was a great thing, and I would recommend going and checking out more of their stuff.
Mp3 | Source

4. Bon Iver - Skinny Love
This is a band I've just started getting into, thanks to my dad and Calum, the drummer in my band We, The Last Men hyping them up so much. Having found this at Jagjagwar records website was awesome, especially since I just happened to be there looking for Parts and Labor. Enjoy it, and use it as a leaping pad to buying the album, it's well worth it.
Mp3 | Source

5. Bad Religion - Supersonic
This is a super-fast song that I heard years ago when I was very heavily into Bad Religion. It's short, it's sweet, and it packs a punch. It's definitely worth checking out at least half of BR's huge back catalogue, before deciding you've fallen for them.
Mp3 | Source

6. New Mexican Disaster Squad - Tightrope
Another super-fast punk rock song now, one that packs just as much punch too. I heard this a few years back and it really impressed on me like no other Punk band would at the time. It's from an album thats well worth your time listening to called 'Don't Believe', so do it, or... don't.
Mp3 | Source

7. From Monument To Masses. - To Z (Repeat)
And now for the opisite. I've just recently gotten into this band with the help of 65daysofstatic's remix of this very track, and it's really paid off because everything I've heard has blown me away. This is no exception. Charging ahead like a Battles live show, but staying melodic like a Post-rock band who like Post-Hardcore music is what this band does best. This is a fine example of a genre at it's best.
Mp3 | Source

8. Fang Island - Curuga
Again, having found this on an old Big Scary Monsters Mp3 page is odd, considering they were released by Corleone Records in the states, but no bad thing! Another great band, and another great song, who am I to argue? This one is excitement contained within instrumental music, and I wouldn't be surprised if Andrew WK was helming the piano either!
Mp3 | Source

9. Yndi Halda - Dash And Blast
This one takes some patience. While it's a great post-rock overture that moves from one movement to the next with style and orchestral class, it is fifteen minutes long, and it really does all the 'talking' itself. Sit back, relax, and get taken away to new heights, by dash and blast.
Mp3 | Source

10. Copy Haho - Shooting At The Sky
Welcome back, I hope you enjoyed your trip. Now for something completely different. Copy Haho hail from bonnie Scotland, and reside on Big Scary Monsters huge seeming label that encompasses some of the best music around. Copy Haho took a little longer for me to catch onto, but now that I'm caught, I ain't getting thrown. It's pop, it's indie, and it's quintessentially BSM. I couldn't ask for anything more.
Mp3 | Source

11. Coheed And Cambria - Welcome Home
Alright, so everybody and their granny knows this song, but it's just so darn good, that I don't care. Get it on, turn the speakers up loud and rock the fuck out.
Mp3 | Source

12. Scarlet - Untitled
I heard this song years ago when Scarlet first appeared on the scene, and was just blown away by the sheer thundering unrelentlessness power of the sound. Of course, after album number one, it all went sour and their second album is generic hardcore 101, but to this day 'Cult Classic' remains a firm favorite in my CD collection. It's a shame that this WAS always meant to fall apart...
Mp3 | Source

13. And None of Them Knew They Were Robots - Victory as a Drug
A great little song I heard years ago, which I recently found on Last.fm along with the bands entire juicy back catalogue too, and it just felt right to share it here too.
Mp3 | Source

14. Wintermute - Dead or Not He Was Wearing Sunglasses
A new member of the Big Scary Monsters family, this is a new song too, which has just been released on the BSM site for free, which is a great thing, considering it's brilliant. I'm completely taken with this band, and can't wait to hear more from them. Enjoy it, savor it and come back for more.
Mp3 | Source

15. Maps And Atlases - Every Place Is A House
This song is brillaint. It just goes BOOM and you don't really know where you are, and them you're over there when you thought you were still here. Wow, it's sheer power that a song can have to make you think you aren't who you thought you were, but this is that song. That tapping riff just just goes thoughout the whole song, and takes over your fingers. You will love the confusion and awesomeness.
Mp3 | Source

16. Funeral For A Friend - 10:45 Amsterdam Conversations
Who doesn't know this band? But are you familiar with this song? If not, you can thank me later. This is a brillaint song from their 2002 debut EP 'Between Order And Model'. It's packed full of punch and energy, which may be dwindelling in the boys as of late, but can be found in spades in earlier material. If you don't love the last minute of this song, I may have to divorce you.
Mp3 | Source

17. Pennines - Open Closed Open
Yet another song from that Big Scary Monsters Mp3 page that I clearly love too much. This time however, I can't find any other label they are associated with. Good news for BSM, because this, and the ajoining tracks on their myspace show Pennines as a band to check out (which I shall shortly be doing). Get to it.
Mp3 | Source

18. Lack - Traktor
And let's finish how we started, with a little bit of 'eh?' and 'awesome.' I haven't heard a lot by this band, in fact, this song is all I've heard, but if it all sound as fucking brillant as this does, it definitey requires further investigation. Bloody brutal.
Mp3 | Source

Til' next time,
Carl

No comments: