Wednesday 7 October 2009

Hear New Music 008

Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines please...


Well then, I said it'd be a week, and it's been almost a month. I'm a terrible host. I apoligize. Although, looking back on my previous versions of HNM008 I'm glad I did, as I tore it all apart and left only the best bits in. I added more great songs, and soon had 17 super ones ready to go.








1. Pulled Apart By Horses - Super Hang-On
It's quick, it's brilliant, and it's based on a video game. What more could you ask for? It's so good I based the front cover on the same game!
BSM Autumn 2008 Sampler | Source

2. The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die
I saw The Prodigy when I was about 7 or 8 at Glastonbury and I loved it. I also love the fact that I can come back to the band 15 years later and still be impressed by them. This is a cut from their new album, and it's pretty lucky to find a band as big as this giving away songs for free. It's thanks to Clash magazine, who put together a tidy sampler which I'm sure will make another appearance down the line. In the meantime, enjoy this meaty motherfucker.
Clash Magazine Sounds Of The Summer Sampler | Source

3. Russian Circles - Malko
If there was one band I could say I'm continuosly impressed by it'd be Russian Circles. They have a sound which is hard to beat, and a great wealth of incredible musicians at their behest, including one of the best drummers alive. This song shows those skills in abundance, and proves Russian Circles as one of the best bands out there.
Mp3 | Source

4. Audrey - Big Ships
On an entirely different note, Audrey are also pretty damn impressive in their own field. Sombre, heartfelt and calming, Audrey command a whole heap of respect from me, even if just for the one guitar line that drops at 1:40. It's not big, but it is very, very clever.
Mp3 | Source

5. Gifts from Enola - Aves
And now, in the Red corner, from Post-Rockville and weighing in at a hefty 8 minutes and fifty-six seconds, Gifts From Enloa's 'Aves'. They have it all in spades. Impressive musical ability, odd-timings, Post-Rock Advanced Higher level and HND qualifications and even an Brutal Riff award from the school of *shels. They could well come out on top here.
Mp3 | Source

6. A Wilhelm Scream - Route 40 One Six
In the Blue corner, from Hardcore Alley and weighing in at a seemingly wimpy two minutes exactly, A Wilhelm Scream's B-side entry 'Route 40 One Six'. It's firey, it's brash and it's as anthemic as they've ever been, and it's a wonder why it would be left to the wayside as a B-side, and not the lead in track to their next album. It has everything that makes A Wilhelm Scream what they are, utterly impressive. Theres no telling who the winner was here, but they had a damn good time trying.
Mp3 | Source

7. These Arms Are Snakes - Riding The Grape Dragon
Latecomers to the fight, These Arms Are Snakes come out swinging. I've had this song sitting on my computer for ages without any real urge to listen. Who knows why? Maybe it's the dumb name (on both counts). Whatever reason it is, it doesn't matter, I was wrong. It's a great song and should be heralded as such.
Mp3 | Source

8. Machine Head - Aesthetics Of Hate
Machine Head are awesome. Aesthetics Of Hate is awesome. It's free. Any more reasons? Oh yeah, and it's striking back at an article by William Grim against Dimebag and fans of heavy metal citing them as 'an assemblage of ignorant, semi-human barbarians who [are] filthy in attire and manner, intellectually incoherent and above all else, hideously ugly to the point of physical deformity.' Douche.
Mp3 | Source

9. The Weakerthans - Psalm For The Elks Lodge Last Call
Speaking of douches, here's The Weakerthans, whose only douchey feat is writing great indie pop songs that I wish I wrote. This is no exception. This is a welcome return from a band featured on the very first Hear New Music, and a band which I continue to find lots of little things to love about. Sexy.
Mp3 | Source

10. Colour - Over The Moon
I am an idiot. Really, a fucking Idiot. What I mean by this, obviously, is that I never went to see Colour live. I mean, at the time, I was completely obvlivious to the whole Big Scary Monsters scene, but that's no excuse. I feel terrible about it, as not only from the quality of this song, but the previously featured 'Conversations' on Hear New Music 002 and the rest of the recently released free sampler on the BSM site, they seem like a band of incredible live quality, and are definitely sorely missed.
Colour Anthology Sampler | Source

11. Biffy Clyro - Mountains
You've heard it. I know you have. It's great. You know it. So do I. It's free and its Biffy and you love it. Don't complain!
Mp3 | Source

12. A Lull - Skinny Fingers
Now, for a nice wee skip through a colourful field in a bright painting captured on a summers day and hanging in a rented house. It's exactly what this song sounds like, and to me that sounds perfectly lovely. Especially right now in this cold blustery night, huddled over a keyboard, typing this very sentence. It's lovely, and it takes you right out of the moment you are in.
Mp3 | Source

13. If These Trees Could Talk - What's in the Ground Belongs to You
Post-Rockville is calling yet again, with another fantastic song to be added to repitoire. A return from the boys in ITTCT, but a hugely welcome one, with a new song straight out of the minds of geniuses with delay pedals. I see the next *shels heavy riff award going straight to these boys, with no doubt in my mind. A super song by a super band.
Mp3 | Source

14. Five Pointe O - Double X Minus
This is from one of my favourite albums that no-one has ever heard. It may be possible you've heard this song, but the album? Probably not. A one-album band, Five Pointe O turned out to be a bad signing for Roadrunner records as their career ended shortly after the release of the album. However, the album speaks for itself, and it's a band that I certainly would love to see back together.
Mp3 | Source

15. The Tupolev Ghost - Diagrams
Yes, it is a third Big Scary Monsters band. Don't moan about it, you are in fact, bloody lucky! It could have been much more! But I'll be honest, I don't see that as a bad thing. Big Scary Monsters continue to put out solidly good bands just like The Tupolev Ghost, and I can't see them stopping anytime soon. I for one, am glad. This is a fine example of the great stuff that can be found underneath the big hitters on the label, and it's just as gold underneath as it is on top. Shiny.
BSM Spring 2009 Sampler | Source

16. Eaten By Tigers - Solstice
Eaten By Tigers return! And they're very welcome to, if you ask me. Which you didn't, but I saved you the trouble. I think I'll let the incredible nine minutes of Solstice speak for itself, thank you very much.
Solstice EP Rapidshare | Source

17. Sleepingdog - Your Eyes
Some would say, 'save your best for last'. Others would weigh in with, 'Put your best foot first'. Then some douche would chime in, 'No-one is going to get to listen to the last one, they've got half hour attention spans!' I disagree with all of these. Except for the first one, which is entirely true. This song is beautiful, and I love it. You will too.
Gizeh Records 2009 Sampler | Source

G'night folks.



Til Next Time,

Carl

No comments: